In 1852 Captain Nelson Merrill, a Texas Ranger and founder of Merrilltown, set aside five acres of land to be used “as a church or cemetery” forever. Calvary Worship Center is now the custodian of Merrilltown Cemetery, which has been designated as a Texas Historic Cemetery. Some of the earliest settlers of Williamson and Travis Counties are buried here, including Captain Merrill and his family.
We are profoundly grateful for Martin Parker, who maintained the cemetery for many years before it became part of Calvary Worship Center. Mr. Parker’s family were pioneers in this area.
The Austin Genealogical Society maintains an inventory of the gravesites: http://austintxgensoc.org/cemeteries/merrelltown-cemetery/
For information on burials in Merrilltown Cemetery, please call at 512-994-0202.
CWC Cemetery eMail : email@example.com
14914 Burnet Road
Austin, Texas 78728
An article from the Handbook of Texas Online wrote the statement below for the area known as Merriltown.
MERRILLTOWN, TEXAS. Merrilltown was two miles south of McNeil in northern Travis County. It was named for Capt. Nelson Merrill, who settled there in 1837 and later operated a store and post office. The post office was established in 1851. By the mid-1880s the community had a steam gristmill and cotton gin, a general store, a church, and a district school to serve its population of thirty-five. The number of residents had increased to 100 by the mid-1890s. The Merrilltown post office was discontinued in 1902, and mail for the community was sent to Round Rock in Williamson County. Merrilltown was the focus of a common-school district until 1949, when part of its territory was consolidated with the Round Rock Independent School District and the remainder was consolidated with the Pflugerville schools. A few scattered houses marked the area on county highway maps in the late 1940s. The area has since been annexed by the city of Austin.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl
A new front entrance, gate and fence has been built. The dedication and installation of a beautiful historical marker was on April 9, 2011 at 1:00pm.